Telemedicine is a game changer in health care
Posted on Thu, Apr 30, 2015
Telemedicine uses technology to present an alternative approach to the way we seek medical care. Telemedicine allows patients to access doctors via phone or videoconference to address a health issue.
We all love Wyoming for its wide open spaces that allow us the freedom to roam, unspoiled wilderness, and the heritage of the Old West. Living in such wide open spaces can come with a small price to pay. One being, access to medical care. It can be tough to get immediate and appropriate access to the medical care necessary. Seeking care may require a long drive into the city, which requires a lot of time and expense. Telemedicine is a growing model that answers part of this dilemma.
Telemedicine, also known as “telehealth”, uses technology to present an alternative approach to the way we seek medical care. Telemedicine allows patients to access doctors via phone or videoconference to address a health issue. It’s not necessarily a new concept. In fact, many rural areas, Wyoming included, have established telehealth conferencing for specialty consultations.
More recently, telehealth has been gaining ground as an alternative to urgent care or the emergency room for minor concerns like the cold, ear infections, and the flu, to name a few. WINhealth recognized the need for greater access to care and named telehealth as the solution. In 2014, WINhealth partnered with Teladoc, the first and largest provider of telehealth medical consultations in the United States.
Teladoc gives WINhealth members 24/7/365 access to board certified doctors via private phone or video conference. It is more affordable than the ER, and more immediate than urgent care. In fact, Teladoc is included in every WINhealth plan and is absolutely free to our members. It does not matter if you have met your deductible or not, every Teladoc visit is free. There are no copays or coinsurance and no strings attached. We want you to seek the care you need, when you need it.
Once you have registered, Teladoc gives you:
- The ability to request a consultation from anywhere via online, mobile app, or phone – whether you’re at home, at work, or on vacation – at any time, all year long
- Prompt call-back (averaging less than 24 minutes’ wait time) by a qualified physician
- One-on-one attention from a practicing, board certified physician with an average of 15 years’ experience in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, or Pediatrics
- The ability to receive a called-in medication prescription, when necessary, at your desired pharmacy
- The option for a video- or phone-based consult
- Instant access to your electronic medical record, which you can download or arrange to be faxed to your primary care physician at any time
When looking for a telehealth partner, we sought out the best. Teladoc met and continues to meet the expectations of both WINhealth and our members.
- 10 million members
- 95% member satisfaction
- 96% physician satisfaction
- 17 minute average consult duration
- 0 malpractice claims
- 16 minutes average call back time
- 90% patient issues resolved
Your time is scarce enough without having to find time for a last-minute trip to the urgent care. We hope you will consider giving Teladoc a try the next time you have a minor health concern, or just need to call in to get an expert medical opinion on the degree of urgency of your medical concerns and a referral to the emergency room. While Teladoc can be extremely convenient and helpful, it is important to note that it does not take the place of a primary care doctor.